By Joel H. Silbey
A spouse to the Antebellum Presidents presents a chain of unique essays exploring our ancient knowing of the function and legacy of the 8 U.S. presidents who served within the major interval among 1837 and the beginning of the Civil struggle in 1861.
- Explores and evaluates the evolving scholarly reception of Presidents Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan, together with their roles, behaviors, triumphs, and failures
- Represents the 1st single-volume connection with assemble jointly the historiographic literature at the Antebellum Presidents
- Brings jointly unique contributions from a crew of eminent historians and specialists at the American presidency
- Reveals insights into presidential management within the area century major as much as the yank Civil War
- Offers clean views into the principally forgotten males who served in the course of probably the most decisive zone centuries of usa history
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Best american history books
A good consultant for mountain-man fanatics and an fascinating exploration of the West, Rocky Mountain Rendezvous specializes in the fur-trading rendezvous that came about from 1825-1840 within the principal Rocky Mountains. initially advertisement gatherings the place furs have been traded for must haves equivalent to traps, weapons, horses, and different offers, they developed into wealthy social occasions that have been pivotal in shaping the early American West.
“Do no longer disregard us. ” Haunted by means of a woman’s voice whispering those phrases from the dusty documents, Connie Lapallo sought to find why her grandmother Joan introduced a daughter and joined the few girls and youngsters settling Jamestown in 1609. encouraged by way of their braveness, Connie tells their tales with compassion and ancient accuracy.
The Grits Eaters is an emotion-packed saga of a tender Florida guy, Arch Morrison, who on the age of 19 enlisted within the accomplice military to guard his domestic from the invading Union military. He rose to the rank of lieutenant and on the finish of the battle, used to be eventually discharged after serving six extra months after The Armistice in a federal military criminal, on the grounds that he refused to pledge allegiance to the us govt.
The warfare of the Mormon Cow is a robust story of ways a small mistake by means of a naive Mormon unleashed a sequence of occasions that bring about conflict. the tale is predicated in an incident that happened in 1854 known as "The Grattan bloodbath. "The tale follows a tender loopy Horse and Black gown lady and plenty of different members that have been current on the time.
- Abingdon (Then and Now)
- Alien Crash at Roswell: The UFO Truth Lost In Time
- Syracuse and Lake Wawasee (Images of America)
- Legends of the Detroit Red Wings: Gordie Howe, Alex Delvecchio, Ted Lindsay, and Other Red Wings Heroes
- To Place Our Deeds: The African American Community in Richmond, California, 1910-1963
Additional info for A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)